In it, TV news anchor Will McAvoy (Jeff Daniels) makes the following key points, that we are:
- Seventh in literacy
- Twenty-seventh in math
- Twenty-second in science
- Forty-ninth in life expectancy
- 178th in infant mortality
- Third in median household income
- Number four in labor force
- Number four in exports
We lead the world in only three categories:
- Number of incarcerated citizens per capita
- Number of adults who believe angels are real
- Defense spending, where we spend more than the next twenty-six countries combined, twenty-five of whom are allies.
(I’ll leave it as an exercise to the reader to verify all these, but am working on specifying just a few of my own: taxes, welfare, and infrastructure:
41.2% (yes, almost half, I prove it here) of my income is taken away and being given away to people giving little or nothing in return. This has got to cease.